Welcome...

to my random thought processes.

Saturday, January 15, 2011

These last few weeks have been hectic.  My uncle was readmitted to the hospital with kidney issues due to the medication he has been taking for his Parkinson's Disease. He's been getting thinner, and his face reminds me of my father's when he had cancer.  It's almost as if it's the face of fighter.

My uncle has always been there for me.  When I was a little girl he and I would fight over the channels we wanted to watch on the TV.  He and I would play for hours and he'd swing me around until I dizzily laughed to be let down.  I couldn't wait for him to come over on Saturdays and take me to the Webber's store and to the park.  We'd ride in his green Skylark where the seatbelts were only around the waist, and you could slide off the seats.  My uncle always smelled like the men's cologne and always wears a gorgeous watch on his wrist.  Lately, the watch I would see him wear was one that I bought for him a few years back, or maybe he just wears it when he came by to see us.

My uncle'd hair is now gray, he lays in a hospital bed not being able to move because his body is so weak.  He has all sorts of machines that beep hooked up to his frail body.  He sleeps most of the day, but whenever I come by,  my uncle opens his eyes for me when I visit, especially if I sing to me. Sometimes he makes sounds, which I believe to be him singing along.  I keep telling him he's making progress, and that soon the Father will grant him a healing, and I caress his silvery white wavy hair, I pray over him and ask God to heal his organs. 

Everytime I drive out there, I don't call, I just show up, for fear that someone will give me bad news on the phone.  But everytime I show up, I am scared to hear something bad.   It's strange how my faith is failing me.  I feel like I am watching my dad all over again.   My uncle Mike, has always been my favorite uncle and I know I am his favorite from all of his nieces and nephews.  Now, I just wait and hope that God will answer my prayers help improve my faith in him.  

If you pray, please pray for him.  I love him dearly, and this has been very difficult for me and for the family.  My uncle has two daughers in their 20s and two grandbabies, who adore him.  His wife is beginning to lose her faith too.  Please pray for my uncle and for each of us, so that we may be able to trust in our almighty God, the way we should.

2 comments:

  1. Debbie,
    I am just so sorry about Uncle Mike. I have met him twice now and he is such a great person. It amazed me at how much he looks like your dad even tho he's your mother's brother.
    Don't doubt your faith, sweetie. Talk to Pastor Lee about this. I am guessing that he will tell you that God has a plan for us all and we have no say as to when he brings us home to be with Him. Keep the faith and know that whatever happens that the Lord will be with Uncle Mike.
    You are a good neice and I know that your being there with him is making him happy.

    Love and hugs to you, your mom, Aunt Daisy and the entire family.

    Love you,
    Momma Bowler

    ReplyDelete
  2. "And Jesus wept." God knows your pain first hand.

    God understands the complexity of emotion He created His people with.

    You see yourself as waivering. I think He is proud that you have chosen to battle for your faith.

    Over Christmas a friend who has faced unspeakable tragedy told me that it is when things go wrong you learn who your friends are.

    The important thing right now is that you are there for your Uncle and his family. It may not feel like enough- but there is no greater gift you can give them than your presence and your prayers.

    Hugs and Blessings in this difficult time.

    ReplyDelete