Welcome...

to my random thought processes.

Monday, October 11, 2010

Surviving the Recession

I would just like to say that being married and both of us being unemployed is hard. Really hard! I don’t know people made it through the Great Depression! These amazing couples survived one of the hardest trials for Americans and some are still married to this day. I know a married couple at our church that met in a Japanese Internment Camp. Crazy! They are still going strong! I want to be like those couples, but I wonder if they ever have argued like we argue.

Let me tell you, Kevin and I, have almost married a year and we argue about stupid stuff. Mainly cleaning or finding work.

Recently I completed my Student Teaching, which I loved and hated. I loved it, because I worked with some amazing teachers and students, but hated it because I couldn’t get a job. I would be student teaching in the mornings and then I would head to class. Or I would come home to work on some crazy lengthy lesson (that nobody ever does when they actually teach) to hand to my University Supervisor. I thought I was going to die every day. I was tired, and worn out, and broke. Then, when I got home, the small one bedroom apartment we rent, would be a mess. My husband would be sitting at the computer on Facebook, commenting on every friend’s picture and posts. While I had to clean up the mess and fix dinner. Did I think it was fair, no?

But hallelujah! Kevin was contracted into this temporary job in a nearby town, where he did what he does best, work with computers. He has such a passion for it. At the same time, I was done with school, which made life a little easier. I get up in the morning and clean up any messes that were left behind, put the iron away, vacuum, dust, and do all the “wifely duties” I needed to get done. By 10 am the small apartment was spotless and I could read, or think of cool recipes to make for dinner. Kevin came home and had something to talk about other than “The Family Guy” and what people were talking about on Facebook.

Men need to work! Why? Because I think God genetically engineered them to work hard. When they don’t work, THEY DON’T WORK! They do not want to do ANYTHING! Another reason that men need to work is because women need space and time to clean up when they are not around. Crazy!

We’re both on the brink of finding jobs! I just completed my credential program (Thank you Jesus!) and am waiting for everything to post on the state’s website.  That way I can say that I am official and I am not overlooked for positions. He may have a position lined up, but it’s not working with computers and I think he is upset. All those years of college, and then to run into this economy, would make anyone feel like giving up. However, a job is a job. I told him, that if it’s God’s will for him to be there, he will love it, because he will make it fun and exciting for himself.

It’s been a rough 1st year, but I guess the tougher it is when you start out, the more you can overcome little things. They say money and sex are the main marriage breakers. Money hasn’t broken us yet, and let’s just say that the sex part is quite alright. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment